Well it’s been a busy summer. I haven’t blogged in some time but I wanted to write some thoughts about spiritual leadership. I shared these with our staff at our annual staff retreat. This is not an exhaustive list but these are things the Lord has been teaching me and things I have given some thought to as of late. Here they are:
1) Understand the reality of the unseen realm.
*This means we know who the true enemy is. Eph. 6:10-13
*This means we understand the firepower of heaven. 2 Kings 6:8-23
2) Understand the power of prayer and its necessity. 1 Thess. 3:10; 2:18
*We approach spiritual problems with spiritual solutions.
3) Know the heart of God because they know their Bible. 2 Kings 22:3-23:3
*When we grow in our knowledge of the Bible we will have a greater apprehension of the heartbeat of God.
4) Move people on to God’s agenda. 1 Cor. 15:58
*If everyone was where they needed to be spiritually there would be no need for spiritual leaders. Spiritual leaders allow God to use them to move others toward God’s will and way.
5) Reproduce their lives through mentoring/discipleship. 2 Timothy 2:2
*If you fell off the face of the earth today, is there someone equipped and ready to keep your ministry going? Will your investment in others outlive your life?
6) Experience growing humility. 1 Corinthians 4:7; 1 Peter 5:5
*The mark of someone that walks with God is growing humility before God and other people.
7) Have moral authority produced by integrity. 1 Thess. 2
*Integrity is gained over time through consistency but can be lost in one unguarded moment.
8) Are amazed by grace. Luke 7:36-50
*Spiritual leaders should marvel at the undeserved favor of God in their lives.
9) Look for evidence of God’s grace in others. 1 Cor. 1:4-9
*It’s easy to be frustrated at people’s shortcomings, but spiritual leaders should be on the lookout for God’s work in others and point out what they see. People need encouragement!
I hope this list has given you some food for thought. Have a great week!